Friday 1 August 2014

What is Steatocystoma Multiplex?

Hi guys! It's been awhile since my first post, sorry for the late second post! I have been kinda busy lately, and thus contemplating updating this space. Another reason is I don't really like to talk about my SM, I just like to be busy (or doing nothing sometimes) to forget that I have SM.

So... the question is, what is Steatoycstoma Multiplex? (SM)

To answer the question simply, it is a hereditary, sometimes sporadic condition, where multiple cysts ranging from about 1mm to 4mm manifests itself usually on the extremities, namely the wrists, chests, abdomen, inner thighs, armpits etc.

Usual manifestations would be on the wrists, armpits, chest and abdomen areas. However, where sebaceous glands exist or are in abundance, cysts can manifest in those areas. (Good thing is those pesky cysts would not be able to grow on the soles or palms!)

My own personal SM started when I was undergoing puberty (about 14 years of age). I would notice those weird bumps under my wrists, and probably put it off afterwards, thinking that it was a normal thing for people to have. My SM "erupted", meaning to say it started to spread when I was around eighteen and a half. New bumps started to appear on my abdomen area, then slowly on my back and chest. During the "eruption" period, the bumps on my wrists started to grow more prominent as well. Now, I have them mostly on my back, abdomen and wrists, with some sparingly on my chests, armpits and approximately less than 5 on my lower neck area.

 Cysts on my wrist; under normal lighting.
 Cysts on my wrist; skin taut under normal lighting (Close up)

Cysts on my wrists; skin taut under bright white light

This led me to think that there could be a dormant phase in Steatocystoma Multiplex when it first starts to manifest itself, and then an "eruption / flaring" phase where cysts start to appear in other areas of the body. I would also like to believe that as one is older, the spreading of SM cysts start to diminish. This would be true for most conditions, there would however be exceptions as from some cases online.

The "eruption / flaring" phase tends to differ in different individuals. I have a friend (a little older than me) who has the same bumps under the wrist (he has no idea he has SM; just finds the bumps weird), however his SM does not seem to have "flared up" yet. Thus, the manifestation of SM differs in individuals, which might be due to environmental factors or genetic make up.

As can been seen from the photos above, the cysts appear quite small (generally about 1mm to 4mm, tho some tend to clusterfuck together!), therefore I would deem them to be pretty manageable. A good dermatologist should be able to extract them out permanently with minimal scaring. However, my chest area is very prone to scaring and the cysts there are abit larger though lesser in quantity. Again, different individuals will have different manifestations, including size, quantity, areas and growth of cysts.

This is a poorly understood condition, therefore I hope this blog of mine will exist as a platform for all SM sufferers to come together and share their experience. I hope you all will stay with me throughout this entire journey. I know we need the support of one another. My next few posts I will be posting more about SM. Toodles! :)

5 comments:

  1. Hi, I hAVe mine too .In my wrist .How to cure this one ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. im not sure what it is exactly on mu inner arms its light little bumps all over, im young so im not sure if it has to do with me growing???

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi i have mine too, and im worried about it, it because its spread on my wrist and in my legs,how cure this one?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I have mine too, I am a little bit crazy thinking how to cure this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too i have a lot on my arms..i dont know how cure it

    ReplyDelete