Thursday 11 August 2016

Is isotretinoin a cure? (Part 1)

My research on the web for isotretinoin as a potential cure / treatment for steatocystoma multiplex didn't seem to be that promising. Most medical articles have shown varied results on the use of isotretinoin for the treatment of SM.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3456886
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3197445

The first article states a possible adverse reaction with isotretinoin use, while the second shows that could be a possible delayed effect on the shrinkage of cysts.

Can isotretinoin or as it's more commonly referred to as accutane be a possible treatment of SM, aiding in the shrinkage and even full eradication of SM cysts? Personally, I have my doubts on that. Even so, I would guess only a small percentage of SM sufferers would see any beneficial effects while on isotretinoin.


2 comments:

  1. I had SM for over 10 years since I was ~16 yo. While I have no cure to speak of, I had noticed significant improvements since modifying my diet.

    I avoid gluten / grains / dairy / legumes / coloring / additives / HFCS / poison from conventionally grown veg & CAFO meats. Basically anything that could potentially cause systemic inflammation (leaky gut etc).

    Now I notice that the SM are growing much slower. Basically what is left is what I can't drain out with a 22G needle. Yes, I learned to poke myself, you should probably get a nurse or a provider to do it for you before you learn to do so. I highly recommend getting at least the large ones drained especially if they are in inconvenient locations where you are likely to pick on it.

    The other thing I noticed since improving my diet is that some of the cysts drain on its own now! Sometimes when I pick on one of the cyst, it just drains out sebum / oil. A bit like popping a pimple. This to me is like evidence that my SM is healing.

    Hopefully in a few years I will be completely clear. I am quite convinced now that SM is a lifestyle driven disease, much like diabetes / IBS. Sure it could have a genetic basis but I wouldn't discount the environmental factors involved. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, glad to hear that you have successfully found a method for eradicating your SM. Good luck with your journey!

    ReplyDelete